This is a thick soup so if you prefer a thinner texture then add an additioanl cup of water to the pot. We have inlcuded a sprinkle of chilli flakes which gives a small lift to the soup, please adjust or omit to your taste.
This recipe is low fat, low sodium, low sugar, dairy free, gluten free, and vegetarian.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato (aka kumara / yams), peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups stock - beef or vegetable
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. ginger, crushed (we used from jar)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Sprinkle of chilli flakes
- S & P to taste
- In a pot, heat the olive oil on med heat and add the onion. Stir for 5 minutes until softened, don’t burn them.
- Add the cumin, chilli flakes, ginger and garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped sweet potato and carrot and stir in. Season with some cracked pepper.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil. Once boiling, turn down to a simmer and cook for 20-25 mins until softened.
- Blend in a blender in 2 stages. If soup is too thick for your taste add a little more water.
- Taste at this stage, season with S & P if required.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||692 kJ||217 kJ|
|165 Cal||52 Cal|
|Protein||4.4 g||1.4 g|
|Fat, total||2.8 g||0.9 g|
|- Saturated||0.4 g||0.1 g|
|Carbohydrate||26.6 g||8.3 g|
|- Sugars||13.8 g||4.3 g|
|Sodium||114 mg||36 mg|