You can use red kidney beans instead of canneloni beans, any legume will be great. The macaroni pasta and vegetables give this recipe a chunky, but still a soft texture. Traditionally this would be garnished with some parmesan cheese.
This recipe is low fat, low sodium, low sugar, dairy free (omit cheese), gluten free.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 slices shortcut bacon, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, washed and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large tomatos chopped
- 1/2 large zucchini, sliced (aka courgette)
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 x 400g can canneloni beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups beef stock, heated
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup macaroni or small pasta
- Sprinkle of rosemary and oregano
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- Fresh parmesan cheese - optional
- Cracked pepper for seasoning
- In a large pot heat oil over med high heat. Cook bacon for around 5 mins or until crispy. Add the onion and cook until softened, around 5 mins. Add the carrots, celery and potato cooking for a further 8 mins then add the garlic, pepper and herbs and stir for 1 minute..
- Add the stock, and beans, bay leaf and tomato, bringing to a simmer. Simmer on low heat for 15 mins. Add zucchini, tomatoes, paste, mushrooms, and simmer for a further 15 minutes. Season with cracked pepper.
- Keep stirring, then once simmering again, add the pasta, season with salt and pepper. The pasta should only take around 7 minutes to be cooked.
- Take out bay leaf and serves with fresh parmesan cheese grated over top.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||812 kJ||174 kJ|
|194 Cal||42 Cal|
|Protein||9.2 g||2.0 g|
|Fat, total||4.4 g||1.0 g|
|- Saturated||1.1 g||0.2 g|
|Carbohydrate||24.3 g||5.2 g|
|- Sugars||4.6 g||1.6 g|
|Sodium||297 mg||64 mg|