Barley is considered a nutritional powerhouse when it comes to good nutrition. It is a great source of fibre and like all plant foods it is naturally cholesterol free and low in fat. Teamed up with all the other vegetables in this soup, your body will love you for trying this recipe.
This recipe is low fat, low sodium, low sugar, dairy free and also suitable for vegetarians.
- 10 cups vegetable stock
- 6 button mushrooms, cut into quarters
- ¾ cup dried pearl barley
- 1 tsp. thyme dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. parsley
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks sliced
- 2 carrots cut into chunks
- 1 large potato cut into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ shredded cabbage
- 1 cup diced sweet potato (aka kumara or yams)
- Packet of fresh spinach (100g)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Cracked Pepper
- In a large pot heat olive oil and cook onion on low med heat for 10 mins until translucent. Make sure you don’t burn or colour the onion. Add garlic and stir for 1 min, add barley, stir again for another minute.
- Now add vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.
- When simmering, add potato, sweet potato, celery, carrots, thyme and bay leaves. Season with cracked pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Now add cabbage and parsley simmer further 5 minutes, and then add spinach.
- Serve with a slice of crusty bread.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||420 kJ||106 kJ|
|100 Cal||25 Cal|
|Protein||3.1 g||0.8 g|
|Fat, total||1.9 g||0.5 g|
|- Saturated||0.3 g||0.1 g|
|Carbohydrate||14.8 g||3.8 g|
|- Sugars||3.5 g||0.9 g|
|Sodium||52 mg||13 mg|