The pancetta packs a load of flavour into the soup. If you dont have pancetta you can substitute with smokey short cut bacon, fat removed of course. This is a thick soup so if you prefer a thinner texture then add another cup of water or stock.
This recipe is low fat, low sodium, low sugar, dairy free.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 5 med-large potato, peeled & chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 thick slices pancetta, most of the fat removed, chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock, salt reduced
- 3 cloves garlic. crushed
- ½ leek, washed and sliced
- Sprinkle of thyme
- Cracked pepper to taste
- In a large pot heat 1 tbsp. olive oil on med heat and sauté onion until softened, approx. 5 mins. Add leek and sauté a further 5 mins. Take out of pan, place on a plate and set aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil and cook the pancetta until browned.
- Add onion/leek back to pan, now include the celery and stir for 2 mins.
- Add chopped potato, sprinkle of thyme, garlic and season with cracked pepper and stir for 1 minute.
- Add stock and bring to boil. Simmer for 1 hour then blend with a stick blender or mixer.
- Option to serve with croutons made from multigrain toast cut into little squares.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1120 kJ||251 kJ|
|268 Cal||60 Cal|
|Protein||9.3 g||2.1 g|
|Fat, total||10.7 g||2.4 g|
|- Saturated||2.4 g||0.5 g|
|Carbohydrate||28.8 g||6.4 g|
|- Sugars||5 g||1.1 g|
|Sodium||405 mg||91 mg|