We have left this soup chunky, rather than blitzing it with a stick blender, to give it a rustic texture. Feel free to add a touch of chilli if you want to spice it up.
This recipe is low fat, low sodium, low sugar, good source of protein, dairy free, gluten free and suitable for vegetarians.
- 850g Pumpkin, (30oz)
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 2 cups beef stock or vegetable stock, hot
- 2 cups hot water
- Place lentils in a bowl, cover with water and soak for 2 mins. Pour out water, place more water, move around and drain.
- In a pot, heat oil and sauté onions until softened, around 10 mins.
- Add paprika, turmeric, cumin and garlic, stir 30 seconds then add red lentils. Stir.
- Add pumpkin, season with pepper.
- Add 2 cups hot and 2 cups hot water.
- Simmer for 20 - 30 mins or until pumpkin has softened.
- Leave chunky and serve.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||804 kJ||199 kJ|
|192 Cal||48 Cal|
|Protein||10.6 g||2.6 g|
|Fat, total||3.3 g||0.8 g|
|- Saturated||0.5 g||0.1 g|
|Carbohydrate||24.3 g||6.0 g|
|- Sugars||12.4 g||3.1 g|
|Sodium||49 mg||12 mg|