Roasting the pumpkin gives a lovely sweetness to the soup. To keep the sodium down we use massel vegetable stock which is low in sodium and gluten free. Our recipe actually makes 2 very large serves however suits 4 people for an entree or starter.
This recipe is low fat, low sodium, low sugar, dairy free, gluten free, and vegetarian.
- 1 butternut pumpkin (aka butternut squash) 700g after peeled and cut
- 1 tbsp. olive oil for onions & 1 tsp. for pumpkin
- 2 small cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp. vegetable stock, low sodium
- 2 cup water, heated
- Sprinkle thyme
- S & P to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C degrees (350F).
- Peel pumpkin, remove seeds and cut into chunks for baking.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil, then season pumpkin with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until pumpkin is soft and golden brown. Take out and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil then saute onions for 10 mins. Add garlic, thyme and roasted pumpkin.
- Add vegetable stock and water, simmer for about 10 - 12 minutes.
- Puree soup in food processor until smooth.
- Serve immediately.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1210 kJ||181 kJ|
|289 Cal||43 Cal|
|Protein||9.7 g||1.5 g|
|Fat, total||11.8 g||1.8 g|
|- Saturated||1.8 g||0.3 g|
|Carbohydrate||30.5 g||4.6 g|
|- Sugars||23.8 g||3.6 g|
|Sodium||117 mg||18 mg|