No need to have canned soup, which tend to be high in sodium when you can make your own. This soup is natural and full of anti-oxidents and no other fruit or vegetable has as high a concentration of Lycopene.
We used Massel Brand powdered vegetable stock as this is low sodium. 2 tsp. mixed with 2 cups hot water. Check the sodium level of the stock you use as some can be quite high.
This recipe is low fat, low sodium, low sugar, dairy free and suitable for vegetarians.
- 6 med tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large onion, peeled & quartered
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 large cloves garlic left whole
- 14 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp. oregano
- S & P to taste
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F).
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut tomatoes and onion into quarters. Place into a bowl with whole garlic, drizzle with olive oil, season with S & P.
- Place onto lined baking tray and bake for 30-40 mins until all have collapsed. Take the garlic out after 20 - 25 mins as it will burn and set aside.
- When tomatoes have baked take out and place all into a pot, with vegetable stock, fresh basil, dried oregano and bring to boil. Simmer for 10-15 mins. Blend either with a stick blender or into an actual blender until smooth.
- Taste and see if you need to season with more S & P.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||404 kJ||104 kJ|
|96 Cal||25 Cal|
|Protein||4.1 g||1.1 g|
|Fat, total||3.8 g||1.0 g|
|- Saturated||0.6 g||0.1 g|
|Carbohydrate||8.6 g||2.2 g|
|- Sugars||8.2 g||2.1 g|
|Sodium||28 mg||7 mg|