Like more traditional smooth pea soups, the base is puréed before adding the potato, carrot, chorizo and additional whole peas. If you would like a less thick soup then omit the cornflour step and add a little more water or stock. We have included chorizo sausage which gives a great smokey depth to the soup.
This recipe is low fat, low sodium, low sugar, high protein, dairy free.
- 1 pkt dried split green peas (500g/17oz)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 chorizo sausage, cut into small pieces
- 2 onions diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 6 cups beef stock, warmed
- 2 cups water (if required)
- 6 baby potatoes, quartered
- 2 small carrots cut into chunks
- 1 pkt frozen peas (500g/17oz)
- Sprinkle of dried rosemary and thyme
- 2 tsp. cornflour mixed with ¼ cup cold water (optional)
- Place dried peas into a large bowl with water and wash peas.
- In a non-frypan, heat olive oil and sauté your onions for 5 mins. Add garlic and cook a further minute. Turn slow cooker on high. Take onion off heat and place into slow cooker.
- Now in same frypan, add chorizo sausage, no need for additional oil. Cook until brown, approx. 3 minutes, and then place into slow cooker.
- Drain peas into a strainer and rinse until no bubbles form. Place into slow cooker.
- Place warmed stock, sprinkle with rosemary/thyme, season with cracked pepper and cook for 3-4 hours on high.
- At this stage stir and check, you might need to add a touch more water depending on your cooker. Wiz now with a stick blender doesn’t have to be completely smooth.
- Add the frozen peas, chopped potatoes & carrots, season with salt and pepper, cook a further hour until potatoes cooked. If you like a thick soup, add the cornflour water and stir in. This will thicken the soup.
- Serve with crusty bread or leave until next day until flavours develop.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1490 kJ||324 kJ|
|356 Cal||77 Cal|
|Protein||21.8 g||4.7 g|
|Fat, total||7.2 g||1.6 g|
|- Saturated||1.9 g||0.4 g|
|Carbohydrate||43.5 g||9.5 g|
|- Sugars||7.4 g||1.6 g|
|Sodium||184 mg||40 mg|