The texture of this soup is hearty without being heavy so it's makes a great winter warmer lunch, dinner or entree. You have the option to garnish with a little parmesan cheese.
This recipe is low fat, low sodium, low sugar, dairy free, and suitable for vegetarians.
- 2 red capsicums (aka sweet/bell peppers), deseeded & sliced into large chunks
- 6 large tomatoes cut into quarters
- ½ cup red lentils
- 2 large onions
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 14 basil leaves torn
- 1 large potato, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Olive oil spray
- Sprinkle of rosemary
- S & P for seasoning
- Preheat oven 200C (400F).
- Place baking paper on a baking tray; lay out the tomatoes and capsicums on to the baking tray. Spray a little olive oil spray, season with salt & pepper and bake for 45 mins or until softened. When cooked, take out and set aside.
- In a large pot heat olive oil, on med heat and cook onions until translucent or softened, about 10 mins. Add garlic, chopped potato, lentils, worcestershire sauce, and stir for 1 minute.
- Add roasted tomatoes and capsicum, stock, rosemary salt & pepper and simmer for 30 minutes. Then add basil leaves, simmer a further 15 mins. At this stage, taste, add more herbs if needed.
- Blend in a blender in batches and put back into pot.
- Season a little more cracked pepper and serve with some crusty bread.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||722 kJ||219 kJ|
|172 Cal||52 Cal|
|Protein||9.7 g||2.9 g|
|Fat, total||4.4 g||1.3 g|
|- Saturated||0.6 g||0.2 g|
|Carbohydrate||18.6 g||5.6 g|
|- Sugars||8.7 g||2.6 g|
|Sodium||93 mg||28 mg|