If you are not a vegetarian then you could add some pancetta, bacon or even chorizo sausage which would add a great smokey flavour to this dish. Any leftovers you can freeze for lunch another day.
This recipe is low fat, low sodium, low sugar, dairy free, gluten free and suitable for vegetarians.
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable stock, heated
- 2 cups water, heated
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 1 handful fresh spinach
- 3 clove garlic crushed
- ½ cup corn (or peas and corn)
- ½ cup elbow pasta or macaroni
- S & P to taste
- In a large pot heat olive oil and cook the onions until softened, usually 5 mins.
- Now add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the 2 varieties of beans, carrot, celery and stir for 2 mins. Add the vegetable stock and water, oregano. Simmer for a few minutes on low heat.
- Add the canned tomato, and spinach and pasta and simmer for a further 5 minutes until pasta is cooked.
- Season with cracked pepper and serve with sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||643 kJ||202 kJ|
|154 Cal||48 Cal|
|Protein||7.6 g||2.4 g|
|Fat, total||3.2 g||1.0 g|
|- Saturated||0.5 g||0.2 g|
|Carbohydrate||19.5 g||6.1 g|
|- Sugars||3.6 g||1.1 g|
|Sodium||282 mg||88 mg|