Then you'll see how great it looks, steaming and full of colourful vegetables, like pumpkin, mushrooms and carrots. But wait, the best is yet to come....The taste. We used a slow cooker, if you use stove top use the smallest hob on the lowest heat level.
This recipe is low fat, low sodium, low sugar, high protein, dairy free.
- 2 onions
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 3 cups beef stock, salt reduced
- 2 cups water
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
- ¼ pumpkin cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup whole green lentils, dried
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 4 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced (aka corgette)
- 1 tbsp. *Seasoning* Vegemite (marmite or Worcestershire sauce)
- Optional to add 1 can diced tomatoes if desired
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Set slow cooker on high.
- Heat a non stick fry pan and saute onions for 5 mins. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute. Add to the slow cooker, then add the dried lentils.
- Add the stock, bay leaf, thyme and herbs, Vegemite (or similar) carrots, potatoes, and extra water. Simmer for 20 minutes then add pumpkin, zucchini, celery, mushrooms and tomatoes (optional).
- Season with salt & pepper and simmer for 2-3 hours depending on your slow cooker. Once the lentils are soft and pumpkin cooked this will be ready to serve.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1010 kJ||204 kJ|
|241 Cal||49 Cal|
|Protein||12.4 g||2.5 g|
|Fat, total||3.8 g||0.8 g|
|- Saturated||0.8 g||0.2 g|
|Carbohydrate||26.3 g||5.3 g|
|- Sugars||9.6 g||1.9 g|
|Sodium||102 mg||21 mg|