You can use as much chilli as you want in this recipe, but dont put too much chilli in if you want to taste the pea flavour. The great thing about this recipe is you can freeze any leftovers into individual containers for later.
This recipe is low fat, low sodium, low sugar, high protein, dairy free and suitable for vegetarians.
- 1 pkt dried split peas (500g / 1.1lb)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Hungarian paprika (sweet paprika)
- ½ tsp. chilli powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 tsp. vegetable stock, low salt (we used Massel Brand)
- 8 cups water
- 3 large potatoes, skin on chopped into chunks
- 3 large carrots, skin on chopped into chunks
- Place peas in a bowl and fill with cold water. Swirl around to clean them, tip out water and redo this 3 times.
- Boil kettle.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and sauté the onions on low heat for 5-10minutes. We then transferred to a slow cooker (crock pot) but you can just use the pot on low heat.
- Now add the drained peas, garlic, and bay leaf, paprika and chilli powder. Add to a jug the vegetable stock to boiling water and pour into pot or cooker.
- Simmer on low heat for 3 hours, adding a little more water if needed.
- Add potatoes and carrots and simmer a further hour, season with S&P.
- Do not blend; this is great as it is.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1260 kJ||268 kJ|
|301 Cal||64 Cal|
|Protein||16.9 g||3.6 g|
|Fat, total||3.4 g||0.7 g|
|- Saturated||0.4 g||0.1 g|
|Carbohydrate||43.5 g||9.3 g|
|- Sugars||7.5 g||1.6 g|
|Sodium||43 mg||9 mg|