We have kept the amount of chilli included in the recipe down to suit the western palette, but if you enjoy chilli heat, please add more to suit your taste. Don't use a cheap cut of meat, use your favourite steak cut and slice.
This recipe is low fat, low sodium, low sugar, high protein and dairy free.
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 medallions (150g/ 5oz) eye fillet or scotch steak
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 lime squeezed
- ¼ tsp chilli (we used from jar)
- 1 star anise
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 150g (5oz) rice noodles
- ¼ cup chopped fresh coriander
- 10 mint leaves
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- In a med-large pot heat oil and cook onion, stirring, for around 5 mins.
- Then add ginger, chilli and garlic and sauté for a further minute.
- Add beef stock, star anise, cinnamon stick, cloves, fish sauce and simmer for 10 minutes to let all the flavours infuse.
- Then add the carrot and continue to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Slice your beef thinly and put into soup mixture. Add bean sprouts, mint and noodles and continue to simmer for 3 minutes or until noodles just cooked.
- Take out cinnamon stick, and add fresh coriander and lime juice.
- Serve into 4 bowls immediately.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||505 kJ||116 kJ|
|121 Cal||28 Cal|
|Protein||10.9 g||2.5 g|
|Fat, total||2.3 g||0.5 g|
|- Saturated||0.8 g||0.2 g|
|Carbohydrate||11.5 g||2.6 g|
|- Sugars||3.9 g||0.9 g|
|Sodium||302 mg||70 mg|