It is currently Tue May 18, 2021 12:29 am

Free Newsletter

Andy's Personal Progress.

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: Andy's Personal Progress.

Postby Tams » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:20 pm

There is nothing wrong with enjoying a night out, nothing at all. I actually think it is sad that you don't allow yourself this once in a while.

Hey, totally agree, and I think most of us do allow this for ourselves.

I actually wasn't responding to this - my concern was based on the little info I have from the posts you have put up about diet - the diet was really protein based, and missing key food groups. Which is a common diet for quick weight loss, but it has dietary risks long term. In addition, an approach using numbers discounts balance in the food groups (or it can). So I just wanted to check that you will be ok long term healthwise :)
Tams

Postby Tams » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:21 pm

or maybe I should have said 'skimpy' on key food groups rather than completely missing!
Tams

Postby AndyJ » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:26 pm

Tams wrote:
There is nothing wrong with enjoying a night out, nothing at all. I actually think it is sad that you don't allow yourself this once in a while.

Hey, totally agree, and I think most of us do allow this for ourselves.

I actually wasn't responding to this - my concern was based on the little info I have from the posts you have put up about diet - the diet was really protein based, and missing key food groups. Which is a common diet for quick weight loss, but it has dietary risks long term. In addition, an approach using numbers discounts balance in the food groups (or it can). So I just wanted to check that you will be ok long term healthwise :)

I have all nutrients recommended. I do eat Carbs, just complex ones like Oatmeal, Banana's, Apples. I also occasionally have a Sandwich when I am feeling low in energy and lethargic at work (when I feel like this, a wholegrain carb is always the most responsive food)
High : 136 Kg (Oct 2006)
Low : 76.6 Kg (Mar 2007)
Current : 87.15 Kg (13th Aug 2014)
Goals. : 78-79kg Kg
Maximum Allowed: 81 Kg
AndyJ

Postby Blitz » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:47 am

I'm not questioning your ability to lose weight Andy...my concern is your ability to keep it off. Past history is a good indicator of future outcome - unless circumstances change. If you do the same things that you have always done...why are you expecting a different outcome this time?

I worry that your approach has flaws in it that you seem to be unaware of. For example, you talk of bad days but you don't get to the heart of the matter. Obviously you hadn't plan to eat these foods (unlike your upcoming Saturday night) but you ended up having them. Something is out of control...and that is what needs to be understood before it wears you down and sweeps you away.

Where is the chocolate and the like coming from? How is it getting down your gullet? What is the thought processes that are going on that is kneecapping your progress and forcing you to lose control?

Yes, I know that you can lose the weight quickly but if change doesn't occur too many bad days will be strung together and before you know it you are back on the slide to where you were before. That is what your past history shows...where is the change in your strategy to prevent that outcome?

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby AndyJ » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:24 am

Weigh in this morning.

77.05 Kg.
AndyJ

Postby AndyJ » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:38 am

Thought I should check in.

Saturday night I ate so so so much food and drank way to much, was a great night.

As soon as the night finished however, i was back on it come sunday morning.

Weighed in at 79.15 Kg on Sunday.

This morning was 78.15 Kg.

So I am back my goal weight weight already.

The Insurance weight worked wonders and made it easy to get to back down to 78-79 Kg..
AndyJ

Postby ganymede » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:51 am

I'm going to chime in hear and say, I completely agree with Kim.

And I'm certainly not a star citizen on the weight loss band wagon. I've fallen off many times before and I'm pretty damn sick of it. I guess I see a lot of myself in you, Andy. The head strong, one mind focus, this is and will be and I want it now. And that isn't a bad attitude to have. Just watch yourself because I guarantee, when you're suddenly faced with a real life event that wasn't planned but is unavoidable (a friend calls and wants to have dinner that night which means no time for exercise and no time to "bank" any back up calories - but do you say no to avoid the "hard" work involved in making good choices and not see your friend?), that's when things get a bit slippery.

I have always been of the mind, eat strict and exercise as many days as possible (usually allowing 1 day off a week or when I'm feeling particularly lethargic). And seeing as I've failed time and time again, this is clearly not working for me! Each step of the journey is a learning curve and unfortunately, for a long time I was set in my ways and never took the much needed advice in every corner of this forum! I had my way and that was the be all and end all.

But I'm very quickly finding now, that this approach simply doesn't work. Cutting myself off entirely from the things I enjoy, whilst extremely good for the waistline, is not working through any of the mental side of the problem. I can work my butt off, hold on tight but I feel like I'm barely hanging on by a thread and if my mind is still constantly craving those things, then what have I actually learned!?

This is by no means saying that what you're doing is wrong. If we set out a goal for ourselves, we work hard to get there. And that is a really great mindset to have. We just need to be thinking of the little things that slip by us. Why was I craving this to begin with? How was I feeling at the time? Had I got a decent night's sleep the night before? Am I working myself too hard? What was the trigger to my sudden absence of mental capacity and made me reach for a block of chocolate!

It has taken me a LONG time but I finally realise that the mental part of the journey is extremely important. You can't go gung-ho and lose a heap of weight if your mental image of food and lifestyle stays the same. It simply doesn't work that way. Habits creep in very quickly...

Anyway, the moral of this gigantic rant is this: Everyone on here wants to see you succeed, Andy. That's why we're here and through your own struggles and successes, we also learn from them. But getting to the root of the problem is very important. Instead of avoiding what's really going on, sit down and think about it. Consider why, how, where you are, who you're with (I have found many of my slip ups came about because of other people's perception of food rubbing off on me!). We are all our own people and we all have our personal demons to fight.

We just want to make sure you get to the bottom of things so you can be healthy and happy for good :)
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby Blitz » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:21 pm

Sometimes people have to learn things in their own time (the hard way). I well remember when I started out I was very much like this. I just started my first month in losing weight when a friend at my magic club bailed me up about losing weight. At that time I was keeping my losing weight quiet (not for shame or anything like that - just that I'm essentially a very private person) but I did let him know because of his concern.

He was a guy right into fitness and had a lot of experience and knowledge. Every month he would ask how I was going and then offer me expert advice on how to do it better. Every time I would give him reasons why I couldn't do it or how it didn't apply to me. All the time thinking - I'm losing 10 kilos a month - I'm doing all right without his advice. Sure enough, those roadblocks in weight loss came...and sure enough I found myself reluctantly doing every one of the things he had suggested...and finding benefit. He knew what he was talking about and I wasn't smart enough to figure that out. So I tried to re-invent the wheel for a while and then woke up to myself and used his knowledge - to my success.

The hard way or the easy way...it seems to be part of human nature to learn it the hard way. :roll:

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Cackleberry » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:01 am

How's your journey going Andy? I'd be interested to see how you're doing?

Why can't people just do it their own way without being judged? It's sad really. This is a weight loss forum where people should be able to come for support, not to get railroaded into a way that doesn't suit them personally. There are going to be so many different lifestyles and ways of doing this, we have to be open minded.
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
Short Term GW 69kg (10kg loss)
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby AndyJ » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:07 am

Cackleberry wrote:How's your journey going Andy? I'd be interested to see how you're doing?

Why can't people just do it their own way without being judged? It's sad really. This is a weight loss forum where people should be able to come for support, not to get railroaded into a way that doesn't suit them personally. There are going to be so many different lifestyles and ways of doing this, we have to be open minded.

Not the best mate.

Have hit major depression, turned to food and stacked on a lot of weight. Trying my hardest to get back to it, but it is very very hard at the moment.
Been stressing about work, a full time position has came available, which it rarely does, so trying to get that, which does not look like it will happen.
My sleeping is ok though, have been crashing out early, like 9pm, but I spend a lot of time in bed (depressed so yeah).

With the amount of weight i have gained, it will take me 2 months to get back to below 80kg i reckon, so the hard work starts again.
AndyJ

Postby Cackleberry » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:16 am

Sorry to hear that. If it helps at all, I am here to read your daily struggles. Sometimes just feels better to type it all down, let it all out.

With the amount of weight i have gained, it will take me 2 months to get back to below 80kg i reckon, so the hard work starts again.

I know 2 months sounds a long time when you've worked so hard to get that weight off. But where are you going to be if you don't work through those 2 months? Try to take each day as it comes, each meal as it comes if that helps. Imagine how much better within yourself you'll feel at the end of a good day. You'll get back your energy and feel great. Gosh, I know it's easier said than done. I've been there before.

Good luck with the full time position at work, fingers crossed!
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby AndyJ » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:25 am

Cackleberry wrote:Sorry to hear that. If it helps at all, I am here to read your daily struggles. Sometimes just feels better to type it all down, let it all out.

I know 2 months sounds a long time when you've worked so hard to get that weight off. But where are you going to be if you don't work through those 2 months? Try to take each day as it comes, each meal as it comes if that helps. Imagine how much better within yourself you'll feel at the end of a good day. You'll get back your energy and feel great. Gosh, I know it's easier said than done. I've been there before.

Good luck with the full time position at work, fingers crossed!

I guess my head was in the Honeymoon period.

Relationship break up, which it was a very very bad relationship, my ex was abusive and put me through hell. When we broke up, I felt free, alive etc.

Then after a while, I felt alone, like i have no purpose any more. And I guess that is where the depression came in.
I miss being with someone, having someone there, something to look forward to every night.
I am on the Autism spectrum (Aspergers), so outside any relationship I try, I tend to keep to myself, so not many friends.

Many do not understand how things are when you suffer from a mild case of Aspergers, I work in customer service, in a busy shop, I face people every day, heaps of them, even work is extremely hard to do.
AndyJ

Postby Cackleberry » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:09 pm

Can understand how that can happen after a relationship breakup.

My son is on the spectrum as well. He struggles a lot at school. Only last week he was upset because the couple of friends he has were away sick and he didn't know what to do at lunch time. In primary school, his teachers said he played alone but that was the way he preferred it. He is right into acting now and I think that's because he can play a different role for a while.

I have anxiety issues myself and hate being out in public which is why I like forums and the net.
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby admin » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:22 pm

Just a thought - sometimes your own company is a lot better than being with others. I enjoy being on my own. People can tend to let you down, be censored, not really sincere and there is always a compromise with others so I feel it is nice to know a couple of really decent people, go out on an occasion but really do enjoy my own company....also as you get older you tend to prune people out of your life as common threads tend to change. Also our tolerance changes...what we put up with in our 20's in people changes when we reach 30 and 40...
Sharrelle
admin
Site Admin

Postby AndyJ » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:32 pm

I am a bit of a geek, for years when I was alone I use to lose myself in games, little projects regarding something technical, I use to play with photoshop, make webpages and many different things.

Of late, I can't get into any of that, I try, and 5 minutes later I am bored out of my brain.

I guess that is what depression does, you lose interest in what you use to like.

I am what many call a "loner", I do not go out much, I prefer doing my own things, I hate anyone having some sort of control over me, which is why relationships tend to end with the girl going nuts at me for not being involved enough in the relationship. Although my last one I was involved a lot, which was hard to do, but I did it for her, in the end she abused it, abused me and now I am back to being single, which is ok, just have to re-adjust.

Trying to eat right and exercise as much as possible to fill in the hours. Done 5km to do so far, will probably do 10km tonight to start shifting all this weight I gained.

Problem is, when I get in that bored, depressed state, I go to supermarket and eat, I mean EAT!! U buy so much food, like enough to feed an army and eat it all!

I feel so stupid!
AndyJ

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress