Because they don't have a strong taste, they are very versatile and are complimented by a range of sauces, including tomato based sauces like the one we've used here.
Semolina, which is low fat and has a range of healthy vitamins and minerals, comes from durum wheat, which is used to make pasta, cereals and couscous.
- 3 cups low fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup semolina
- 4 tablespoons fresh parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 cups Passata (bottled Italian tomato puree)
- Olive Oil Spray
- 15 Fresh Basil Leaves
- Sprinkle oregano
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a med pot place milk, bay leaves, nutmeg and season with salt & pepper. Bring to simmer, stirring with whisk. Simmer for 2 minutes on low heat.
- Prepare a square baking dish with baking paper & a little spray.
- Now back to pot, take out bay leaves, stir in semolina , pouring in slowly and whisking. Turn off heat, it will thicken very quickly. If it gets too thick you can stir add a tiny bit more milk (not too much). Now add egg yolks, keep stirring, then parmesan cheese.
- Pour mixture into the baking dish, make sure it is even and flat. Let it sit there for 20 mins, then place in fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven 190c (375F).
- Bring out the gnocchi from fridge, grab a 5cm (2 inch) cutter (we used a thick champagne glass) and cut out 19 circles. Best results, dip glass/cutter in water after each circle as the mixture will stick.
- Lay out on baking tray lined with baking paper. Spray tops with a little cooking spray or melted butter.
- Cook in oven for 20 mins, turn over so you crisp up both sides. If your oven is nit a hot oven, turn on fan bake.
- Whilst gnocchi is in the oven, lay your cherry tomatoes on a lined baking tray spray with a touch of olive oil spray, dried oregano, salt & pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Now everything is cooking, grab a pot, pour in your passata, crushed garlic, basil, pepper (if you want more herbs you can add them). Simmer for 5 mins.
- Check gnocchi, should be nice and crispy on the outside, remove from oven. Tomatoes should be now softened, takeout.
- On a plate, divide tomato mixture on the base neatly. Place gnocchi on top, slightly leaning on each other and cherry tomatoes around plate. Option if you like, cheese, you can grate tasty on top or parmesan.
- Serve with a side salad.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1830 kJ||358 kJ|
|437 Cal||86 Cal|
|Protein||19.7 g||3.8 g|
|Fat, total||14.3 g||2.8 g|
|- Saturated||7.6 g||1.5 g|
|Carbohydrate||50.4 g||9.8 g|
|- Sugars||20.1 g||3.9 g|
|Sodium||688 mg||134 mg|