Any leftovers will be fine in the fridge for a couple of days however you might need to add a little more water when reheating as the lentils will soak up a lot of the liquid. Otherwise place in single serve containers and freeze for another day, perfect for those days when you don't want to cook.
This recipe is low in fat, low sodium, low sugar, dairy free, gluten free and suitable for vegetarians using vegetable stock.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 zucchini, (aka courgette) chopped
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 cups beef or veg stock, salt reduced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dried brown lentils
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 large potato chopped, leave skin on
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. oregano dried
- 1 tsp. rosemary dried
- Cracked pepper - to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and saute onions until softened.
- Add the celery, carrots garlic, lentils, potato, oregano and pepper. Stir for 1 minute then add the stock and water, add bay leaf.
- Simmer on low heat for 20 mins then add rosemary, cauli, zucchini and grated lemon rind. Check to see if you have enough water, you might need to add some more if you like a soupy soup.
- Add parsley and tomato, simmer a further 15 mins until vegs and lentils have all softened.
- Divide the soup into bowls; serve with chopped parsley and a wedge of lemon.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||431 kJ||128 kJ|
|103 Cal||31 Cal|
|Protein||3.9 g||1.2 g|
|Fat, total||2.6 g||0.8 g|
|- Saturated||0.4 g||0.1 g|
|Carbohydrate||12.7 g||3.8 g|
|- Sugars||5.4 g||1.6 g|
|Sodium||55 mg||16 mg|