This Fried Rice recipe is made with brown rice which is much more nutrtitious than white rice.
Brown rice gives this recipe a firmer texture and slight nutty flavour.
This recipe is also very flexible and you can add any type of meat or fish to it if you like.
- 2 cups brown rice
- 5 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 ½ cups peas and corn (frozen)
- ½ teaspoon chilli (optional)
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce light
- 2 tbsp. Ketchup Manis (or hoisin or oyster sauce)
- Cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Cook rice as per instructions (we used a rice cooker). Once cooked, set aside.
- In a wok or large frypan heat the oil and stir fry the onion. After a couple of minutes add the red capsicum and keep stir frying for a few more minutes. Now add the crushed garlic and chilli. Make sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add the peas and corn and keep stirring.
- Now add the rice with both sauces, season with pepper and keep stir frying. If a little dry, add some more sauce or a little water until moist.
- Serve as a side or on its own for a lunch.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1300 kJ||402 kJ|
|310 Cal||96 Cal|
|Protein||8.4 g||2.6 g|
|Fat, total||5.8 g||1.8 g|
|- Saturated||0.7 g||0.2 g|
|Carbohydrate||51.5 g||16.0 g|
|- Sugars||8.4 g||2.6 g|
|Sodium||997 mg||310 mg|