This is a very clean tasting dish with a lovely smokey flavour coming from the chorizo. If you dont have chorizo, you can use smokey bacon instead. Optional extras to consider adding are a sprinkle of parmesan cheese or a pinch of chilli.
- 1 large chicken breast, no skin, chopped
- 4 large button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bag baby spinach, 150g
- ½ red capsicum, diced (aka bell pepper)
- 2 tbsp. marinated capsicum from a jar (aka bell pepper)
- ½ onion, sliced
- ½ chorizo sausage, sliced
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1.5 cup dried penne
- 10-15 leaves of fresh basil
- 1 tbsp. crumbled reduced fat feta
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Cook Penne as per instructions reserved 1 large cup of pasta water then drain and set aside.
- In a large non-stick frypan heat 1 tbsp. olive oil and stir fry the onion and fresh red capsicum.
- After a 4 mins add the mushrooms and continue to stir fry.
- Once mushrooms have started to cook, take off heat onto a plate and set aside.
- Heat pan again and add chorizo, cooking on med heat until browned, approx 2 minutes.
- Now add chicken, cooking until nearly cooked.
- Add back to pan onion & capsicum then add the spinach, this will take approx 2 minutes to start to collapse, adding some of the pasta water (not all just a little) to help with the process.
- Add the other capsicum (from jar) and cherry tomatoes, basil leaves and season with S & P to taste.
- After cooking for a minute, add pasta and a little more of the pasta water to help bind it all.
- Once all incorporated serve immediately, with crumbled feta.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1290 kJ||448 kJ|
|308 Cal||107 Cal|
|Protein||32.4 g||11.3 g|
|Fat, total||12.6 g||4.4 g|
|- Saturated||3.2 g||1.1 g|
|Carbohydrate||13.6 g||4.7 g|
|- Sugars||3.9 g||1.4 g|
|Sodium||228 mg||79 mg|