We have used light coconut milk, there is a huge variety on the shelves with different fat levels so make sure you review the nutritional panel before using. Massaman curry is usually contains just potatoes however we have added additional vegetables as well. Optional to garnish with crushed peanuts.
This recipe is low sugar, low in saturated fat and high protein.
- 100g massaman curry paste we used Valcom Brand, ½ jar
- 1 chicken breast, skin off, diced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1/2 onion, chopped chunky
- ½ red capsicum, chopped
- 2 tsp. corn flour
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, light
- 1 cup cooked rice
- Pierce potato with skewer several times and place in microwave for 10 minutes until cooked. Once cooled cut into chunks and set aside.
- In a large non-stick frypan or wok place onion and capsicum on med high heat and stir fry for 5 mins, do not burn the onion, turn heat down if necessary. Add zucchini and cook a further 2 mins.
- Keep the wok going, turn down heat to med and add the curry paste. You want to cook the paste for 1 minute. Now add the coconut milk mix together. Add ½ cup of water, fish sauce. sugar and bring to the boil. Once sauce is simmering, turn heat down and place chicken, potato and cook for 5 mins. Now add the onion and capsicum and simmer for a further 5 mins.
- Now add light cooking cream, stir. Mix 2 teaspoons cornflour with ¼ cup cold water and add to the curry, this will thicken it, keep stirring. If you feel it is a bit too thick, add a little extra water, but it should be a nice glossy thick curry sauce. Optional extra is to garnish with crushed peanuts.
- Serve on steamed rice, 1/2 cup per person.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||2120 kJ||384 kJ|
|506 Cal||92 Cal|
|Protein||42.9 g||7.8 g|
|Fat, total||23.8 g||4.3 g|
|- Saturated||7.3 g||1.3 g|
|Carbohydrate||27.1 g||4.9 g|
|- Sugars||9.9 g||1.8 g|
|Sodium||876 mg||158 mg|