Anything made with pastry is usually a no-no for those of us weight loss aspirations because pastry is typically high in fat.
This Pumpkin Tarts recipe gets around this by using 25% reduced fat puff pastry, which you should be able to find in all supermarkets.
- 600g Pumpkin cut into 1 cm cubes (approx ¼ pumpkin)
- 250g Potato peeled and cut into 1 cm cubes (approx 1 large potato)
- 2 sheets Puff Pastry
- 2 onions sliced
- 160g Roasted Peppers strips (from jar)
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon (Splash) Olive Oil
- 40g Feta reduced fat
- Splash Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200c.
- Place Olive oil in small fry pan and add the sliced onion. Cook on low-med heat for 5-10 mins consistently stirring. Once nearly softened add sugar and balsamic vinegar and ½ cup water and simmer for 5 mins or until softened, dont forget to stir. Remove from heat.
- Place pumpkin and potato into bowl, sprinkle with rosemary or thyme and a splash of olive oil. Stir so all pieces coated with herbs and oil. Place onto baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 20 mins. Check with skewer and once cooked take out and set aside.
- Take out 2 sheets of puff pastry, place on board or bench and cut in half then each half again so you have 4 squares from each sheet.
- Divide onion mixture onto centre of each square, spread out but make sure not to the edges, keep in the centre.
- Place pumpkin and potato onto each square; crumble the fetta on top and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the outside of each square with some milk. Place on lined baking tray and cook for 20 mins.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||614 kJ||328 kJ|
|147 Cal||78 Cal|
|Protein||4.6 g||2.5 g|
|Fat, total||4.4 g||2.3 g|
|- Saturated||1.9 g||1.0 g|
|Carbohydrate||20.1 g||10.8 g|
|- Sugars||7.6 g||4.1 g|
|Sodium||180 mg||96 mg|