Chicken and Mushroom Risotto is very popular in Australia. This should take around 30 minutes to make and can be reheated in a microwave the next day, just add a little water before microwaving.
You can omit chicken and have 3 or 4 different variety of mushrooms for a full vegetarian version, (using veg stock of course).
- 2 chicken breasts, no skin, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- ½ leek, washed and sliced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 10 button mushrooms,
- 1 ½ cups Arborio Rice
- ¾ cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock, heated
- 50g Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated
- Cracked Pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- Handful chopped parsley
- Sliver of butter
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Place your stock in a pot and simmer over low heat.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and add chicken. Cook chicken for 5 mins until you have browned. Take off and set aside, will further cook in risotto.
- Back in your pan heat 1 tbsp. olive oil and sauté onion for 5 mins, then add leek and cook a further 3 mins on low heat. Don’t let this burn as you want them nice and translucent.
- Now add rice, stirring to incorporate the onion and leek.
- Now add the white wine, med heat. Stirring, the rice will absorb the wine, approx. 3 mins.
- Now add a ladle of the stock, stirring. The rice will absorb, add another ladle.
- After this add half the chopped mushrooms. Stirring with another ladle of stock.
- When liquid has absorbed, add crushed garlic, stirring with another ladle of stock.
- Season with S & P to taste, add oregano and stir in another ladle of stock.
- Add remaining mushrooms, another ladle of stock.
- At this stage, should have been cooking around 20 mins. Add chicken back to pan and incorporate with parsley.
- Bite one of the rice and see how soft or hard, this will determine how much longer to cook. Keep adding more stock if needs more cooking.
- Once rice is to your satisfaction, add a sliver of butter and parmesan cheese, mixing all together.
- Serve immediately.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1690 kJ||322 kJ|
|404 Cal||77 Cal|
|Protein||39.8 g||7.6 g|
|Fat, total||15.2 g||2.9 g|
|- Saturated||6.0 g||1.2 g|
|Carbohydrate||22.1 g||4.2 g|
|- Sugars||5.2 g||1.0 g|
|Sodium||239 mg||46 mg|